Monday, September 2, 2013

Medresa

        It was my first day of school today! I woke up at 5:40 a.m., and was out the door (after my host father helped with the gate latch) by 6:20, headed to Azzan bin Qais International School. Five YES Abroad students attend ABQ: Caillean, Davan, Mae, Shanya, and me.
I've never had a uniform!
        The eleventh and twelfth graders had a meeting filled with announcements, then we went off to class. The only problem was, Caillean and I were but in the wrong one. We meant to enroll in the AS track which follows the British curriculum and replaces Arabic with Introductory Arabic for the foreign students. Somehow, we found ourselves in the bilingual track. After heading to the Dean's office with another misplaced girl, we arrived in the right classroom, unfortunately, we had already missed the majority of homeroom.
ABQ YES Abroad crew!
      I met many new people today, and I pushed myself to sit away from the other YES abroaders at lunch, and to sit with a cluster of girls from my class. I was worried much of the conversation would be in Arabic but to my surprise most of it was in English. Many students and staff helped me know where to go, and figure out how I am getting home (we had not yet been added to the bus route), everyone was kind and talkative.
     Azzan bin Qais is much stricter than my school in Vermont. At my old school we didn't have a
uniform, we could chew gum, wear baseball hats, and we addressed out teachers by their first names. Now, I dress in a longsleeved, button up, white, collar, shirt, and pull over a floor length sleeveless dress made from grey, heavy, fabric, this makes up my uniform. My hair must be pulled back and bracelets are not allowed. Every teacher and staff member is Ms. or Mr., and we to greet stand them when they enter the room.
    I enjoyed my first day of school, though it felt slightly hectic. I am lucky to have Caillean's familiar face in my class, especially at the times when neither of us know what we're doing or where we're going. Hopefully, we receive our schedules tomorrow, and I manage to find the right bus home.

No comments:

Post a Comment