Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Visit to Medical Clinic

         So yesterday I woke up at 6:00 am with stomach pains, specifically the feeling of several knives sticking into my intestines. Hoping it was just part of the constipation I'd been having, I went back to bed. Then at 10:30 am (Friday is a weekend day here) I tried to eat breakfast. I barely choked down a cup of milk tea before crawling back to bed.
        I napped until 3:30 pm, which was lunch time. I barely made it to the table. After a couple spoonfuls of yogurt sauce, I was done. I could barely sit up. So I stumbled back to bed. I was so nauseous I couldn't even drink water. Finally, after watching me shiver while wrapped in a wool sweater and a blanket while lying in a un-air conditioned room (outside temperature was about 91.5 degrees F), and after I vomited when I tried to drink orange juice, my host mother decided to take me to the hospital.
       It was Friday, the holy day, so most of the private clinics were closed. My host mother drove me to Badr Al Samaa in Ruwi. I was treated by an all Indian staff that spoke passable English and a little Arabic. I had my temperature and blood pressure taken and a quick consultation with the doctor. I was then given three injections: one in the hand, on in the forearm, and one in the butt, to treat my fever and nausea. I also might have gotten one in my elbow crease, but the nurse spent so long trying to find a vein I couldn't tell if she actually gave me anything. Through the entire visit my host mother held my hand, stroked my hair, and was generally amazingly comforting and helpful. After paying the bills we left.
     Only to have a nurse chase us down in the parking lot. We'd left without a prescription that I needed. After revisiting the doctor, we went to the clinic's pharmacy, where I was given four medications to take, and one more on an "as needed" basis. The entire visit took about an hour. Shots, medications, and doctor's visit all added up to a total of 24.1 OMR or 62.59 USD.
     The visit was much shorter and cheaper than any doctor's visit in the U.S. that I've ever had. I didn't have an appointment, I just walked in and was treated. The facilities and room that I was put in were identical to what I would have seen in the U.S.
     When we finally left I was tired, dehydrated, and, at long last, hungry. The drive home seemed much shorter, with much fewer speed bumps than the drive to the clinic. At home, I ate my first meal of the day, leftovers from lunch: rice with yogurt sauce and chicken. Then I called my dad for that casual "I went to the hospital today, got three shots, and a bunch of medication" conversation that every parent loves to have with their child who is seven thousand miles away. I went to bed at 8:00 pm and slept for thirteen hours.
      So what made me so sick? My host mother and I think it was some mango juice I'd had the night before the ordeal. I'd gotten it at an outside food stand, I felt a little nauseous when I drank it, but I attributed that to my empty stomach. I feel much better now though I am still tired. I decided to skip the YES Abroad trip to the Royal Opera House in favor of a day more of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment