Monday, September 16, 2013

Pancakes!

As a celebration of my first two weeks with my host family, I made pancakes! The Vermont way: golden, fluffy, and drenched in maple syrup. I usually make my pancakes from scratch but for this occaision I brought pancake mix and maple syrup (Grade B, the strongest and best) from Vermont. The pancakes here are different from the pancakes in the U.S. Omani pancakes are thinner with more air pockets and eggs. They also use honey on their pancakes instead of maple syrup, given the lack of maple trees.
 
 
My first few attempts had to be scraped off the pan, so I switched to a better one. I ate the mangled remains of the first two before anyone could see them.
 
 
 Unfortunatey, this pan was much smaller, so I cooked all of them one at a time.
 
 
I'm really bad at timing pancakes so they cook to golden, so I hovered over the pan for the entire time they were cooking. 
 
 
This is one of the few pancakes that came out golden brown!
 
 
Many thanks to my host mother who cleaned the bowl and pan!

 
 Finally we were ready to eat all my varying shades of success (burned, undercooked, and perfection).


 The end product, with some Grade B maple syrup from Vermont, which my host sisters and mother enjoy, but my host brothers prefet honey to boiled tree sap.






No comments:

Post a Comment