Monday, August 26, 2013

Here to Stay, insha'Allah

My dad and I at the Burlington International Airport
       Last night after twenty four hours of traveling, three plans, two layovers, and three microwaved airplane meals, we landed in Muscat, Oman. In the dark of the night we drove to a hotel, and after late night sandwiches, collapsed in our beds.
Our four hour layover in Zurich, that
 caused many group bonding games. 
      Today, was our first time seeing Oman in the daylight, we've spent most of it at orientation, which takes place at the AMIDEAST offices. We've been through a survival Arabic course, host family info, and just general tips and guidelines for Oman.
My first Omani meal!
     Lunch was the first Omani meal of the trip. We ate out at a restaurant in the family section, it was my first time eating on the floor, eating with my hands, and eating in a restaurant with family and nonfamily sections. The food was delicious, we had shuwa, a delicious rice dish that I don't remember the name of, an Yemeni flat bread covered in sesame seeds and honey, and barbeque chicken. Both the food and conversation was delightful.
       Right now, I am off to meet my host family.


No comments:

Post a Comment