Monday, April 15, 2013

Salaam aleikum!

I can't believe I am a finalist for the 2013-2014 Kennedy Lugar YES Abroad Oman program! It's been three days and it still hasn't sunk in! There are times in everyone's life when their soul sings with joy, when they are in the exact place they need to be. I am in that place. I could not be any happier, than I am right now. Albeit, YES Abroad is not the only amazing thing happening in my life right now, but it is the LARGEST contributor, BY FAR.
      I found out Friday, April 12th, around 5:30 pm at my house in rural Vermont. After a day of checking my email in between classes and on the bus ride home, I had given up hope. I resigned myself to a weekend of agony waiting for Monday to come with wonderful or devastating news. Then, while scrolling down my Facebook news feed, I saw a posting on the YES Abroad Semifinalist page with the word FINALIST. My blood ran cold as my fingers stumbled across the keyboard trying to find my email. When I finally navigated through my inbox and saw those beautiful words with Oman in the title I screamed for joy.
        Somehow, about an hour after my blinding happiness began I managed to grab my phone and start video recording. I also managed to catch the reunion with my dad on tape when heh returned from work at 6:45. Video entry coming soon! I spent that night calling my relatives and friends to share the good news, then I made cupcakes.
       I feel truly blessed for this opportunity! I am in shock, I am so happy! Nothing can ruin my day/week/month/year! Not even math class. Oman was my first choice and I am so happy I got it. I thought waiting for the Finalist notification would be hardest part of this, but now that I know where I am going I feel like it will be forever until I am there! This summer might be the hardest of my life!
       I would like thank all the people and organizations that have made this possible, including but not limited to: the U.S. State Department, the American Councils of International Education, AFS Intercultural Programs (AFS), the American-Mideast Educational and Training Service (AMIDEAST), and the International Education and Resource Network (iEARN). Congratulations all Finalists, Alternates, and Semifinalists! You are all amazing people!

No comments:

Post a Comment