Monday, November 25, 2013

Three months gone by...

     Firstly, I will start by apologizing for these past two weeks without blog posts, I really have been lazy! Secondly, I will state what has already been in written in my title, today, November 25th, marks my three months in Oman! What an amazing three months it has been! I have gotten so close with my host family, made friends with many different nationalities, and seen some amazing sights! I am so thankful for everything that this scholarship has given me, thank you US Department of State! Here are some of the things that happened in the past two weeks.

1. Shia Muslims, including several of my friends, mourned the death of Prophet Muhammad's grandson, Hussein. This happened during the week of November 14th. Each night worshippers gathered in mosques or halls to grieve together. In some places the mourning occurs with a great deal of self harm but luckily most Shiites in Oman only beat their chests rather than using chains or whips.

Nizwa Fort, a rooftop view
2. YES Abroad and NSLI-Y went to Nizwa and Jebel Shams. We spent two days outside of Muscat traveling first to Nizwa fort and then to a mountain called Jebel Shams. The mountain was actually quite cold getting to around 40 degrees F, which made me realize how lucky I am to have warm Muscat weather. It also rained a good deal.

Some slight trouble at Jebel Shams

Happy National Day!
Rain soaked Muscat
3. Oman's National day, the Sultan's birthday was this past week on November 18th. In honor of Sultan Qaboos and Oman people decorated their cars and houses, my school played Omani music at the entrance, and a classmate handed out pins in the colors of Oman's flag with the Sultan's picture on them. The Thursday after national day everyone came to school in Omani dress, even the international boys wore dishdashas and cummas, and the girls all came decked out in their best Oman formal wear.

3. It rained in Muscat! My fourth rain shower since my arrival, but my first ever in Muscat that I was awake for. My host sister and I ran around in the rain for and hour until my eye was attacked by a vicious umbrella.

1 comment: