Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pie and other blessings

  
         On Tuesday the YES and NSLI-Y girls all went over to the US ambassadors house for an early Thanksgiving dinner. It was very enjoyable, the ambassador was very welcoming, members from all our respective host families were there, we met members of the embassy's staff, and the traditional thanksgiving food was delicious. Despite the turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing, this Thanksgiving felt unfamiliar. It was very formal and reserved; there was no kitchen on the brink of chaos, with screaming aunts, no eating contest like mania where everyone stuffs as much into their mouths as quickly as possible, no debate over which apple pie is superior. Afterwards I was left feeling homesick for my crazy extended family, my disjointed immediate family, and the binding effect warm food and wine has on all of them. The true meaning of Thanksginging survived though. It was a night to wonder at my new home with my caring host family, my new friends who I have been blessed with, this beautiful country, the Amideast staff who work so hard to make this exchange possible, and so much more. 
Grocery list on an
embassy napkin.
         On Wednesday I was to melancholy to study for my semester exams that will take place this coming week, instead I ate oreos with peanut butter, talked to my US friends, and went to the beach. Most of my host family had taken advantage of the two day holiday and had left for Dubai. The house felt empty in a pleasant way the reminded me of home. 
        Thursday, turkey day, the day of thanks and counting blessings. I took an expedition to the cold store to procure the ingredients for apple pie and mashed potatoes. 

I had to go back for more apples.
My bigger dinner which will include stuffing, gravy, and pumpkin pie has been postponed for my host sister who will return from the UK soon. I spent the whole day in the kitchen very inefficiently baking apple pie with my mother's secret recipe. 
Crust, filling, and crumb topping.

Fresh from the oven.

I need practice so I serve slices instead of heaps.
After one failed crust, numerous cuts on my fingers from peeling sixteen apples, and lots of dirty dishes, I emerged with a beautiful apple pie covered in crumb topping. I did not burn the house done despite having to light the oven manually. I also made mashed potatoes which my host sister only liked after a large amount of lemon juice was added to them. 
We ate hot fresh pie with vanilla ice cream, followed by mashed potatoes eaten in front of the TV with pineapple juice. 
      A call from my father, brothers, aunts, cousin, and grandmother was the perfect end to the day. They shouted over each other, told me that camels have Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome, and asked me to talk in Arabic, 
Mashed potatoes!
      I am left feeling thankful for everything in my life, both here and in the US. I have two loving families who are equally crazy, friends with bright smiles and kind words, and two extraordinary countries. I am also thankful for the leftover pie I will have for breakfast tomorrow.
         I will leave you with my favorite stuffing recipe which I did not have the chance to make today:




McVeigh's Home Stuffing
  • 12 pieces of bread (whole wheat, whole grain, white, artisan, the more variety the better) 
  • One small onion, finely chopped
  • Three stalks of celery, finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 dried apricots, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp.s salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp.thyme
  • Two eggs, beaten
  • Chicken broth
  1. Leave bread out for the night or toast so as to make it dry. Then rip it into 1 inch chunks and place in a large bowl.
  2. Saute celery and onions in 1 tbsp. of olive oil until softened.
  3. Add celery, onions, remaning olive oil, cranberries, dried apricots, and seasonings to bread then mix thoroughly. 
  4. Add eggs and 1/2 cup broth, mix again.
  5. Add broth and mix until bread is well moistened. 
  6. Bake in an oven proof dish at 350 F. 
  7. Serve with gravy and enjoy!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment